Crisp and chewy marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats.
- 180 grams (4 and 1/2 cups) Rice Bubbles or Rice Krispies (fresh box)
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) salted butter, room temperature
- 440 grams (5 and 1/2 cups) white marshmallows
- Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with baking or parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, measure out your rice cereal and set aside.
- Add butter and marshmallows to a medium saucepan. Place on a low heat. Stir gently while butter and marshmallows melt. Mixture should be creamy and smooth.
- Once marshmallows have completely melted, pour over rice cereal and mix straight away. Mixture will be sticky, but keep mixing as best you can, until cereal is completely coated.
- Pour mixture into your prepared baking pan. Lightly spray a spatula with oil and use it to gently press down mixture, pushing it into the corners. Wet your fingers with water to smooth over any large gaps or holes. Don’t press down too hard or your treats will be hard.
- Leave to set for at least two hours. Then slice into squares to serve. Rice Krispie Treats are best eaten on the day they are made. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Rice cereal: It’s important to use a fresh, unopened box of cereal for maximum crunch and chew. Stale rice cereal will go soggy and taste, well, stale!
Marshmallows: I tested this recipe using Pascall’s regular marshmallows. You can use mini marshmallows if you prefer, but I recommend using a baking scale to weigh them so you use the exact right amount.