Baked Cinnamon Donut Muffins covered in sweet cinnamon sugar.
- 350 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk*
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F) standard / 180 C (350 F) fan-forced. Grease your 12-hole muffin pan well with butter or use cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugars and mix together briefly.
- In a separate bowl, add melted butter, vanilla and eggs. Whisk gently just to break up the egg yolks. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and begin to gently fold.
- Add buttermilk and fold until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix or your muffins will be tough.
- Spoon out the muffin mixture into your prepared tin. Bake muffins for 5 minutes before turning down the heat to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced and baking for a further 10-12 minutes.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon. While the muffins are still warm brush the tops and sides with melted butter and roll them in the cinnamon sugar mix. Leave muffins to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Buttermilk: If you don’t have any buttermilk, you can use your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of full fat or whole milk. Leave for a few minutes before using as normal.