Deliciously soft and tender Cinnamon Rolls covered in cream cheese frosting.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) warm water
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 490 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
Cinnamon sugar filling
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cream cheese frosting
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter, room temperature
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 190 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole or full fat milk
- Set aside a 9 x 13 inch quarter sheet pan. Add warm water to a small bowl and sprinkle yeast over the top and set aside.
- Add milk and butter to a small saucepan and pop on a low heat, to warm the milk and melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, remove the milk from the heat.
- If the milk is hot to the touch, leave to cool for a minute or two. You want the milk to be warm but you should be able to stick your finger in there without it burning. Also check that your yeast has reacted and started to bubble a little on the edges.
- Add sugar and salt to a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add eggs and milk mixture. Slowly start to mix together using a dough hook. Add flour.
- Then add yeast mixture, water and all, and continue to mix. Continue to mix for another few minutes until a nice soft dough forms. Once the dough comes together, remove it from the bowl and place it on a lightly floured bench.
- Knead the dough by hand for 2 minutes or so until it is soft and smooth. Add a little flour to the bench if it’s a little sticky but not too much as we want the dough to be nice and light.
- Then bring your dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl that has been greased well with butter or a little vegetable oil. Cover with cling wrap and leave to rise for at least 1 hour – it should double in size.
- Next, gently push the air out of your dough using your fist. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead gently for a minute before rolling the dough out into a large rectangle, roughly 10 x 16 inches.
- Smear softened butter all over the dough using a butter knife going right to the edges. Combine sugar and cinnamon and generously sprinkle all over the butter.
- Roll up your dough, from the short end, then cut into 12 rolls using a serrated knife. Place rolls in sheet pan leaving space between each roll to rise. Cover with cling wrap and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Meanwhile, make the cream cheese frosting.
- Add butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth. When cinnamon rolls are ready, smear over cream cheese frosting while they’re still warm.
Recipe notes: The rolls are best served on the day they are made.
Pan size: If you don’t have a quarter sheet pan, you can use two 9 inch pie plates and just place 6 rolls in each.