Deliciously soft and tender Chocolate Pound Cake.
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, roughly chopped
- 300 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 60 grams (3/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 160 ml (3/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease a 10-12 cup capacity bundt pan really well with soft butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined and then turn speed up to medium and beat for a further 1-2 minutes or until butter turns pale, creamy and almost fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat briefly to combine – don’t worry if the mixture goes a little bit lumpy at this stage – then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Start to mix together on a low speed. Add milk. Continue to mix until cake batter is smooth and creamy (but try not to over mix).
- Pour cake batter into your prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out mostly clean.
- Leave cake to cool in Bundt pan for at least 15 minutes before gently turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Cocoa powder: We use unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe. You can use regular cocoa or Dutch processed cocoa in this recipe.