Prep: 120 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutes
A beautiful Chocolate Fudge Cake covered in chocolate buttercream.
Chocolate fudge cake
- 230 gram (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 60 grams (3/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 240 ml (1 cup) sour cream, room temperature
Chocolate fudge frosting
- Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat until mixture is combined and creamy. Boil the kettle and pour out 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and lightly whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, along with the hot water and gently fold with a spatula. Finally, add the sour cream and fold until the mixture is completely combined and smooth. It will be quite thick – this is fine.
- Divide chocolate batter into prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make a batch of real chocolate buttercream and cover the middle, top and sides of the chocolate cakes.
Category: DessertCuisine: American