Learn how to make a delicious Chocolate Cake Roll. Tender chocolate sponge cake filled with fluffy chocolate whipped cream.
Chocolate cake roll
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon corn flour or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 120 grams (1/2 cup) icing or powdered sugar (for dusting only)
Chocolate cream filling
- 240 ml (1 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons icing or powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch swiss roll pan by greasing well with butter, right up the sides and in the corners and then line with a piece of baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang a little (just to make it easy to get the cake out).
- Place your eggs in a large mixing bowl and start whisking on a medium speed. When the eggs start to become frothy, add the sugar, one spoonful at a time. Then turn the mixer up to medium-high until the eggs are pale and voluminous – this can take a while so be patient.
- This is a very important step and it’s very easy to stop the eggs before they are ready. Test it by lifting the whisk and drawing a figure 8 with the dripping egg mixture. If the trail stays on the surface long enough for you to finish drawing it is ready. If not, keep whisking. Then add the vanilla and whisk for 20 seconds or so.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and corn flour. Sift again. When the eggs are ready, add the dry ingredients. Whisk for 30 seconds or so, then add the water. Once the flour is incorporated, stop mixing. It’s important not to over mix. Immediately, pour the mixture into your prepared pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, prepare a clean, dry tea towel by generously sifting over half of the icing or powdered sugar. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, flip it over onto the prepared tea towel, then very gently remove the baking paper. Sift over the rest of the icing sugar on the other side. Then gently roll up the cake, from the short side, keeping the tea towel wrapped around the cake. Place the cake on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your cream and whisk until whipped and soft peaks form. Sift in the cocoa powder and icing sugar and stir until smooth. Very gently, unroll your cake and spread with whipped cream right to the edges. Then, gently re-roll the cake back up. Serve immediately.