Prep: 30 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutes
An easy one bowl Chocolate Bread filled with chocolate chips.
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) full fat buttermilk
- 110 grams (3/4 cup) chocolate chips
- Grease and line your 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add sugars and gently stir.
- In the microwave, heat the butter in a large heatproof bowl until just melted, stirring in between 20 second bursts. Add your vanilla and eggs to your butter and whisk gently until combined.
- Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add wet ingredients along with buttermilk. Very gently fold the mixture using a spatula until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Add 75 grams (1/2 cup) of chocolate chips to the batter. Pour mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle extra 35 grams (1/4 cup) of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake cake for approximately 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
Buttermilk: You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of regular, whole or full fat milk. Leave for a minute or two and then use as normal. Note you only need 3/4 cup of milk for this recipe.
Serving Size: 1 slice Calories: 292 Sugar: 21.1 g Sodium: 224.1 mg Fat: 14.7 g Carbohydrates: 38.3 g Protein: 5.3 g Cholesterol: 64 mg
Nutrition information is a guide only.
Category: CakeCuisine: American