Soft and tender Chocolate Banana Muffins.
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk*
- 150 grams (1 cup) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (390 F) standard / 180 C (350 F) fan-forced. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan well with butter or olive oil spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and sugars and whisk briefly.
- Mash your bananas really well with a fork. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, oil, vanilla and buttermilk whisk briefly just to break up the egg yolks.
- Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, along with the mashed banana and chocolate chips. Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix or your muffins will be tough.
- Spoon out the mixture into your prepared tin. Bake for 5 minutes before turning down the heat to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced and bake for a further 13-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, try making your own buttermilk from scratch. Add 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk. Leave for 5 minutes to curdle, then use as normal.
Keywords: Chocolate banana muffins, Choc banana muffins