Prep: 60 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutes
A beautiful two layer caramel cake with white chocolate frosting.
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, chopped
- 300 grams (2 cups) white chocolate
- 180 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
White chocolate frosting
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (1 cup) white chocolate, pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) powdered or icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 240 ml (1 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- Rolos, to decorate, optional
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake tins with baking or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter, white chocolate, sugars and water. Place on low heat, stirring until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside for a few minutes to cool slightly.
- Add eggs and vanilla to cooled white chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add flour and baking powder and stir until combined – don’t worry if the batter is a little lumpy.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins and place in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in cake tin.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside.
- Add vanilla, half the sugar and one tablespoon of milk to the butter and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. If frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk.
- Place one cake layer onto a cake board or stand. Cover the top with white chocolate buttercream. Place second cake layer on top (upside down for a nice flat top). Frost the top and sides of cake. Smooth sides using a cake scraper.
- Whip cream using an electric mixer (or by hand) until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe cream along the edges of the cake. Decorate with Rolos.
Category: CakeCuisine: American