Prep: 45 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 75 minutes
A simple one layer butter cake made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- A few drops of pink food gel, optional
- White chocolate, shaved, optional
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy, approximately 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat briefly – don’t worry if the mixture goes a little bit lumpy – then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the plain flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of the flour mixture, along with all the milk and slowly mix together on a low speed. Add the remaining flour mixture and continue to mix until the cake batter is smooth and creamy (but try not to over mix).
- Pour cake batter into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, add butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk and continue to beat until smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick, add extra tablespoon of milk. If desired, add a few drops of food gel and stir until frosting changes colour.
- Spread frosting on top of cooled cake. Sprinkle over white chocolate shavings.
*Butter Cake is best served on the day it is made.
Serving Size: 1 slice Calories: 537 Sugar: 50.9 g Sodium: 980.7 mg Fat: 25.6 g Carbohydrates: 72.9 g Protein: 5.3 g Cholesterol: 110.8 mg
Nutrition information is a guide only.
Category: CakeCuisine: Australian