Prep: 30 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutes
A fudgy chocolate Brownie Cake made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 300 grams (2 cups) dark chocolate*, broken into pieces
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour, sifted
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 35 grams (1/4 cup) chocolate chips, optional
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) walnuts, roughly chopped, optional
- Grease an 8-inch round springform cake tin with butter and line the bottom with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 170 C (340 F) standard / 150 C (300 F) fan-forced.
- Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile carefully separate your eggs, ensuring no egg yolk accidentally lands in the egg whites.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl, along with the sugar, and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until thick and voluminous. This may take a while – 5 minutes or so – keep going until stiff peaks form. When you remove the whisk, the meringue should be stiff enough to hold its shape and not drip (see photo below).
- To your melted chocolate mixture, add egg yolks and carefully stir to combine. Sift in flour, cocoa powder and salt and fold until smooth.
- Add whipped egg whites to the chocolate mixture and gently fold. Then add chocolate chips and walnuts (if using). Try not to over mix or you will lose all the air in the egg whites.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and smooth the top. Place in the oven for approximately 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean. Keep in mind this cake will have cracks – that’s totally fine.
- Leave the cake in the cake pan but place cake on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely. You can serve the cake once it’s cooled or store it in the fridge to get nice and fudgy. Dust with cocoa powder to serve.
*I recommend using a good quality dark chocolate that’s around 45-70% cocoa.
Category: CakeCuisine: American