Chocolate brownie cookies meet chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate brownie cookies
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) dark chocolate (40-60% cocoa), pieces
- 40 grams (2 and 1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 10 grams (1 and 1/2 tablespoons) cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 35 grams (1/4 cup) chocolate chips
Chocolate chip cookies
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 grams (1 cup) chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
- Chocolate brownie cookies
Add dark chocolate and butter to a heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Add egg and stir until combined. Add sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips and stir until a sticky brownie-like batter forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap and pop in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to firm up slightly.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars using an electric beater on medium speed until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat briefly until combined. Add flour, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips and beat just until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two oven trays or cookie sheets with baking or parchment paper.
- Roll cookie dough
Grab a tablespoon of chocolate chip cookie dough, and a slightly smaller ball of chocolate brownie cookie dough and gently roll them together using your hands until it forms one ball. Place on prepared trays, ensuring both doughs are facing up.
- Repeat until you have rolled all the cookie dough. Wash your hands after every five or six cookies to prevent the two cookie doughs from blending – the cookie doughs can be quite tacky and may stick to your hands.
- Bake your cookies for approximately 12-13 minutes or until just golden brown. While the cookies are still warm, press a few extra chocolate chips on top of each one.
- Once the cookies have cooled slightly, gently remove from the tray and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dark chocolate; Use a good quality block of dark chocolate that’s around 40-60% cocoa.
Cocoa powder: I recommend using unsweetened, natural 100% cocoa powder.
Storage: You can keep these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make ahead: You can make the doughs ahead of time, but I recommend rolling them straight away as instructed in the recipe. You can then place the cookie dough balls in the fridge or freezer to bake at a later time. Just remember to bring the cookie dough back to room temperature before baking, so they spread naturally in the oven.