Beautiful Black Forest Cake covered in whipped cream.
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 80 grams (1 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 300 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 240 ml (1 cup) hot water
- 500 grams Morello cherries, in syrup
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour or corn starch
- 720 ml (3 cups) thickened or heavy cream, whipped
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) good quality dark chocolate, grated
- Fresh cherries, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F). Grease and line two 8 inch round cake tins with baking or parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Then add the sugars. Whisk together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla, eggs and sour cream. Whisk together. Boil the kettle and pour out 1 cup of hot water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Start to fold together, slowly pour in the hot water, and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated. Divide the mixture evenly into two cake tins and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave for 10 minutes before gently removing the cakes from their tins and leave them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the cherry syrup, set aside one cup (200 grams) of Morello cherries, reserving one cup (240 ml) of cherry syrup. In a small saucepan, add syrup, sugar and cornflour. Heat on medium-low, stirring constantly, for approximately 3-4 minutes or until syrup thickens. Set aside to cool completely.
- Use a serrated knife to level the tops of both cakes, to ensure they are flat and even. To assemble the cake, place one chocolate cake on a plate or cake stand. Brush cherry syrup all over the top.
- Add a generous amount of cream on top and spread out into one even layer. Scatter morello cherries all over the top. Drizzle a little extra cherry syrup. Place second chocolate cake on top (I like to place it upside down).
- Brush more cherry syrup over the top of the chocolate cake. Spread cream all over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with grated chocolate and fresh cherries.
Store cake in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 495
Keywords: Black Forest Cake, Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Cream Cake