Best ever Blueberry Crumble Muffins made from scratch.
- 350 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk*
- 185 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) fresh blueberries**
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F). Grease a 12-hole muffin pan well with butter or olive oil spray or use cupcake liners. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder and sugar and whisk briefly.
- To a small bowl, add oil, vanilla and eggs and whisk together just to break up the egg yolks. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, along with the buttermilk. Very gently start to fold the mixture using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add blueberries. Fold until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix or your muffins will be tough. Spoon out the mixture into your prepared tin.
- To make the crumble, stir together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add melted butter and stir until it forms a wet paste. Sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake muffins for 5 minutes before turning the oven temperature down to 180 C (360 F) and bake for a further 13-15 minutes or golden brown on top (and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean).
*If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of full fat or whole milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and then use as normal.
**I prefer using fresh blueberries for maximum flavour but you can use frozen blueberries if you like. Just add them to the batter frozen. Try not to over mix them though, as they tend to bleed into the batter.
Muffins are best eaten on the day they are made. If you have leftovers, I recommend wrapping them in plastic wrap once they are completely cooled and placing them in the freezer. To eat, let them thaw on the kitchen bench, or heat them up in the microwave for a 30 seconds or so until warm.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 336
Keywords: Blueberry muffin, Blueberry crumble muffins