A delicious mocha cupcake topped with creamy coffee frosting and chocolate chips.
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Almond Breeze Chocolate Milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) hot coffee*
Chocolate mocha frosting
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Almond Breeze Chocolate Milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot coffee*
- 50 grams (1/3 cup) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C (360 F). Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake liners. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking powder and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Add melted butter, eggs, vanilla and chocolate almond milk and slowly stir. Add hot coffee and stir until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake liners and pop into the oven. Bake for approximately 18 or until just cooked through. Set cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Add softened butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add 1/2 the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of Chocolate Almond Milk and continue to beat. Add remaining icing sugar, cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon Chocolate Almond Milk. Finally, add hot coffee and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe frosting onto all 12 cupcakes and decorate with chocolate chips.
I added 1 teaspoon instant coffee to 1/4 cup hot water. The coffee taste is mild, if you would like a stronger flavour of coffee, add 1 tablespoon instant coffee to 1/4 cup hot water.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 425
Keywords: Chocolate, Cake, Cupcake, Coffee, Mocha, Dessert