Perfect flourless chocolate cake with an extra fudgy middle and crispy edges.
- 145 grams (1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 300 grams (2 cups) good quality dark chocolate*
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder, plus extra for sprinkling
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Grease a 9 inch round springform baking tin with butter. Sprinkle with cocoa powder to cover the bottom and sides, tip upside down to get rid of excess cocoa powder. Preheat the oven to 150 C (300 F).
- Place butter and chocolate in a large microwavable bowl. Pop in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Slowly add the sugar, one tablespoons at a time, while continuing to beat on medium speed. Eggs should become white and glossy. Continue to beat until eggs become thick and voluminous and form stiff peaks. When you remove the whisk, the meringue should be stiff enough to hold it’s shape and not drip.
- Add egg yolks to chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Sift in cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Add a pinch of salt if desired. Finally, add 1/4 of the meringue to the chocolate and gently fold using a rubber spatula. Then add remaining meringue and continue to fold until mixture is combined. Try not to over mix or you will lose all the air in the egg whites.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, smooth top. Place in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until cake no longer wobbles in the middle. Remove and place on a cooling rack, leaving in the tin to cool completely. It will sink slightly as it cools.
- Sift over a little extra cocoa powder. Cut cake into slices and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
*I used 150 grams of 45% dark chocolate and 150 grams of 70% dark chocolate.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of cake
- Calories: 322
Keywords: Chocolate, Cake, Dessert, Gluten free