Lightly and fluffy high top muffins filled with fresh strawberries and chocolate chips.
- 350 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 250 grams (2 cups) fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F) standard / 180 C (350 F) fan-forced. Grease your 12-hole muffin pan well with butter or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugars and salt. Stir briefly. Add chopped strawberries and chocolate chips and stir until strawberries are all covered.
- Heat butter in the microwave until just melted, stirring every 15 seconds. Set butter aside to cool slightly. Add vanilla, eggs and buttermilk to cooled butter and whisk gently just to break up the egg yolks.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and very gently start to fold the mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon. Fold until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon out the mixture into your prepared pan, filling each muffin hole to the top. Bake muffins for 5 minutes before turning down the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced and baking for a further 12-14 minutes.
- Muffins will be ready when they spring back lightly to the touch. Leave muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
Frozen strawberries: You can use frozen strawberries if you prefer. Add them frozen into the muffin batter. Do not thaw and try not to over mix or they will bleed into the batter.
Buttermilk: If you don’t have access to buttermilk, you can make your own. Simply add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of whole or full fat milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and then use as normal.
Store muffins: Muffins are best enjoyed on the day they are made. Freeze any leftover muffins and simply defrost or warm them in the microwave.