Soft and chewy Red Velvet Cookies filled with white chocolate.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) cold unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- 190 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1/2 teaspoon oil based red food gel*
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 12 grams (2 level tablespoons) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) white chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until combined. Add vanilla and egg. Beat again until combined – but try not to over mix.
- Add food gel. Then add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, and beat on a low speed until soft cookie dough forms. Add chocolate and beat briefly.
- Scoop out cookie dough, roughly 2 tablespoons per cookie, and place on prepared oven trays, leaving room for cookies to spread.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes. Leave cookies to cool for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Food colouring: Make sure you use an oil based food colouring for best results. I tested this recipe using Colour Mill. If you want a stronger, more vibrant red, you can use more colour than directed – up to 1 teaspoon. Or try using 1/2 teaspoon red with 1/2 teaspoon pink for added vibrancy. Have a play around to see what you like best.