Beautiful chocolate cupcakes with a secret Nutella filling, topped with creamy Nutella frosting and a Ferrero Rocher chocolate.
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 12 teaspoons of Nutella
- 1/2 cup (115 grams / 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups (500 grams) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) Nutella
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 12 Ferrero Rocher balls
- Chocolate cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and then add the sugars.
- Pop butter into the microwave for a short burst, 10 seconds or so at a time, until it is just melted. Give it a stir with a fork to eliminate any lumps. In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and butter and whisk together until smooth.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mixture, along with the buttermilk and gently fold until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared patty cases and pop into the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked through. Set cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Nutella buttercream
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth and then sift in half the icing sugar. Add a tablespoon of milk or two to help loosen up the mixture. Add the rest of the icing sugar and the Nutella and continue to beat. Add a tablespoon of milk as needed.
- Finally, sift in the cocoa powder and beat until smooth. The icing should be nice and creamy but thick enough to hold its shape.
- To assemble the cupcakes, carefully cut a small hole in the top of each one, reserving the lid. Fill with a teaspoon of Nutella and pop the lid back on top. Use a piping bag and large round tip to pipe the frosting on each cupcake. Top with a Ferrero Rocher.