Prep: 60 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutes
Two layers of lemon blueberry cake covered in cream cheese frosting
Lemon blueberry cake
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, roughly chopped
- Zest of two lemons
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 240 ml (1 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 155 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) fresh blueberries
Cream cheese frosting
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) full fat cream cheese, softened, roughly chopped
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Extra blueberries, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk briefly. Add butter and beat with an electric mixer on low speed, until butter is broken into small pieces.
- Next, add lemon zest, eggs, milk and vanilla. Start to beat on low speed and then turn up to medium speed. Add lemon juice and continue to beat. Mixture should be creamy and smooth. Lastly, stir through the blueberries.
- Divide cake batter between your two prepared pans. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Carefully transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, add butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add 2 cups of sugar, and continue to beat. Add remaining cup of sugar and lemon juice and beat briefly until smooth.
- Spread frosting on one cake layer, add the remaining cake layer on top. Cover top and sides with frosting. Decorate with fresh blueberries.
Category: CakeCuisine: American