- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk*
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 grams (2 cups) good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or coconut oil
- Chocolate cupcakes
Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sugars – give it a little stir.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add melted butter, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and whisk together briefly – just to break up the egg yolks. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cupcake liners (approximately 2/3 full) and pop into the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer cakes out on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Marshmallow frosting
To make the marshmallow frosting, fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water and pop on a medium heat. In a small heatproof bowl, add eggs whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Whisk together.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water below. As the egg whites heat, whisk gently by hand the entire time. Heat the egg whites to 65 C / 150 F which you can test by sticking a candy thermometer – should be around 5-6 minutes or so.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and beat using an electric mixer on medium-high speed for approximately 5-6 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy, white and voluminous. Add the vanilla and beat for 30 seconds or so. The marshmallow fluff should no longer be warm.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round or star shaped tip. Pipe tall swirls onto each cupcake. Pop the cupcakes into the freezer for at least 30 minutes for the frosting to firm up.
- Chocolate dip
Melt chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds or so. Add oil and stir until smooth. Place chocolate in a deep and high sided container. Make sure it’s not hot to the touch – if it is, let it cool slightly before dipping otherwise it will melt the marshmallow frosting.
- Gently dip each cupcake upside down right into the chocolate, let the chocolate drip off gently and then place the right side up onto a wire rack. Continue to dip all the cupcakes and then place then in the fridge for 30 minutes or so for the chocolate to set.
*If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, you can make your own by combining 1/2 cup of whole or full fat milk with 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar.