Easy homemade Trifle made with fresh berries and custard.
- 1 x 85 gram packet of raspberry jelly
- 420 grams (approximately 6 cups) store bought sponge rolls*
- 4 tablespoons cranberry juice*
- 500 grams (approximately 4 cups) fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 480 ml (2 cups) store bought custard
- 360 ml (1 and 1/2 cup) whipped cream
- Make your raspberry jelly in advance according to the packet instructions. Pour jelly into a small rectangle or square baking tin, so it’s roughly 1 inch high. Leave it in the fridge to set.
- Begin by prepping your ingredients. Chop your strawberries in half and then combine with raspberries and blueberries. Roughly chop your sponge cake into 1/2 inch slices. And chop your jelly (once set) into 1 inch squares.
- To assemble, line the bottom of a 12-cup trifle bowl with half (approximately 3 cups) of your cake slices. Press slices up along the sides of the bowl (see photo below). Drizzle cake slices with 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice.
- Add one third (approximately 1 and 1/3 cups) of the fresh berries on top of the cake, along with half of the jelly squares. Then, pour over 1 cup of custard.
- Add another layer of cake using the remaining cake slices, drizzling over 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice. Then, add one third of the fresh fruit and the remaining jelly squares.
- Pour over another 1 cup of custard. Scatter the remaining fruit over the top. Cover the top with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours or even better, overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, add whipped cream on top.
*You can use any plain store bought cake (that’s not frosted) like sponge cake, Swiss rolls, madeira cake etc.
*You can use apple juice or another sweet juice if you like.