Chocolate Peanut Butter Tagalong Pie featuring a buttery shortbread crust topped with creamy peanut butter and dark chocolate ganache.
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (2/3 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
Peanut butter filling
- 375 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 220 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) dark chocolate, pieces
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- A few tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
- Shortbread crust
Grease and line an 8 inch loose bottom cake tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter for approximately 2 minutes or until pale and creamy. Sift in the powdered or icing sugar and vanilla extract and beat again. Sift in the flour and stir gently until a buttery dough forms. Pour the shortbread dough into the cake tin and press down to form my smooth layer. Bake for approximately 15-16 minutes or until golden brown all over. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Peanut butter filling
Next, add your peanut butter, butter (make sure its nice and soft) and powdered or icing sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat together on low using an electric mixer until combined and then turn the speed up a little and whizz until your mixture becomes nice and smooth. Pour the peanut butter mixture over your cooled shortbread crust and spread out as evenly as you can. Pop into the fridge.
- Chocolate ganache
Finely chop the dark chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, add the cream and place on a medium heat until the cream is simmering but just before it starts to boil. Immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate, cover the bowl with a plate and leave it to sit for 3-5 minutes. Then, whisk the chocolate cream mixture until smooth and creamy. Pour the ganache over your peanut butter filling.
- Then microwave the peanut butter in the microwave for 20 seconds or so until its melted. Drizzle the peanut butter over the chocolate ganache, in long lines, then use a skewer to make a swirly pattern. Pop into the fridge for at least 1 hour to set. Cut into slices and serve.