Prep: 90 minutesCook: 12 minutesTotal: 1 hour 42 minutes
Perfect Chocolate Crinkle Cookies made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour, sifted
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150 grams (1 cup) chocolate chips
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) white sugar or granulated sugar
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) pure icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- Place butter in a large heatproof bowl. Heat butter in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Add sugar and vanilla and use a hand whisk to combine. Add eggs. Whisk again, breaking up the egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Then add to butter mixture and whisk until a sticky chocolate cookie dough forms.
- Finally, stir through chocolate chips. Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- Set out your sugars in two bowls ready for rolling. Then scoop out cookie dough, roughly 1.5 tablespoons per cookie, and roll into balls using your hands. The dough will still be soft and sticky but it should be firm enough to work with. If not, place it back in the fridge for another 15 minutes and check again.
- Roll each cookie dough ball first in the white sugar and then in the icing sugar before placing on your prepared trays. Repeat until all cookie dough balls have been coated in the two sugars.
- Do a quick check and if any of your cookie dough balls aren’t looking completely covered in icing sugar, roll them again.
- Bake cookies for approximately 11-13 minutes or until they’ve spread out and developed a crinkley top. Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge.
Category: CookiesCuisine: American