Slice and bake Birthday Cake Butter Cookies made from scratch.
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) butter, room temperature, roughly chopped
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract or vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) rainbow jimmy sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla, almond extract and egg yolk and beat briefly until combined.
- Add flour, icing sugar and salt and mix on a low speed until a soft cookie dough forms. Finally, add sprinkles and mix briefly.
- Place cookie dough on a piece of baking or wax paper and use your hands to mould the dough into a long circular roll, roughly 22 cm / 9 inches in length. Wrap the dough in the paper so it’s completely covered and squeeze the ends shut. Place cookie dough in the fridge for at least ONE HOUR.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Use a large knife to cut cookies into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place cookie dough on a baking tray lined with baking paper, leaving room for the cookies to spread slightly.
- Bake cookies for approximately 14-15 minutes or until just golden on the edges. Leave to cool completely. Note cookies will firm up as they cool. Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container.
Vanilla extract: I highly recommend using vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste over vanilla essence for a true vanilla flavour.
Almond extract: If almond extract isn’t available where you live, you can leave it out.
Egg yolk: If you cannot have eggs, you can omit the egg yolk. If mixture is a little dry, add a tablespoon of milk.