Prep: 60 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutes
A gorgeous two layer chocolate cake covered in Twix bars.
- 230 gram (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 60 grams (3/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk*
Chocolate caramel buttercream
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 level tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 120ml (1/2 cup) salted caramel sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1–2 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- 300 grams (roughly 2 cups) Twix bars, roughly chopped
- Extra caramel sauce, for drizzling
- Chocolate cake
Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottom with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat until mixture is combined and creamy. Boil the kettle and pour out 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and lightly whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, along with the hot water and gently fold with a spatula. Finally, add the buttermilk and fold until the mixture is completely combined and smooth.
- Divide chocolate batter into prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate caramel buttercream
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Add one cup of sugar, along with a tablespoon of milk, to help loosen up the mixture. Beat until combined. Add remaining sugar, cocoa powder and caramel sauce. Beat until the frosting is nice and creamy. If it’s too thick, add a tablespoon of milk.
- Spread a third of the frosting on top of one layer of chocolate cake. Sprinkle over some Twix Bars. Then add the second layer of cake on top (upside down).
- Cover the sides and top of the cake with the remaining buttercream. Spread Twix bars all over the top. Drizzle over caramel sauce.
Serving Size: 1 slice Calories: 646 Sugar: 68.5 g Sodium: 278.7 mg Fat: 29.4 g Carbohydrates: 97.6 g Protein: 8.7 g Cholesterol: 96.3 mg
Nutrition information is a guide only.
Category: CakeCuisine: American