Welcome to 2016! I thought I’d kick off the year with one of my all-time favourite treats and an absolute staple of my kitchen – the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie. I know many people stick to healthier options in January but the first recipe I posted last year was a Nutella Oreo Cheesecake and it seems I couldn’t stick to the trend this year either.
Sorry, I just love my dessert! But THESE cookies are worth every single calorie because they have everything – crisp golden brown edges, a soft and gooey centre spilling over with chunky pieces of chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt. They are magical.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m a cookie person and would choose a fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie over a piece of cake any day. I took one bite of one of these cookies and immediately remembered why I am a die-hard cookie fan. They practically melt-in-your-mouth and as you can see, they are stuffed with chocolate.
I don’t know about you, but cookies were one of the first things I learnt to bake. Even so, I have had my fair share of cookie disappointments over the years – ones that were as flat as pancakes or didn’t spread out at all and others that broke apart or stuck to the pan. But these Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect in every way.
For me, part of the cookie magic comes down to the right chocolate to cookie dough ratio. I prefer to use chunks of dark chocolate that I have chopped myself rather than chocolate chips, as you get more chocolate in every bite.
It’s also important not to overfill your cookie with chocolate (however tempting it is) as there needs to be enough dough to keep the cookie together once the chocolate melts in the oven. I also love to use plenty of brown sugar as it contributes to their gorgeous caramel flavour.
And finally, the temperature of your butter is everything. Too soft and you can have flat or wet cookies, too hard and it won’t combine properly with the other ingredients and you run the risk of the cookies not spreading enough in the oven.
Room temperature butter is perfect – try not to microwave it but rather let it soften naturally. All in all, I encourage you to try this recipe and watch these golden brown bites of heaven disappear! Happy New Year friends!
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies with crisp edges and a gooey centre spilling over with chocolate.
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornflour or cornstarch
- 115 grams (3/4 cup) dark chocolate chunks
- Sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater for a minute or two until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until combined, scrapping down the sides. Add the sifted flour, baking soda and cornflour and stir using a wooden spoon. Add the chocolate chips and mix through.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls and place on the baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to flatten out. Place in oven for 9-10 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and still soft and gooey in the middle. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle the cookies with sea salt.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 181
Keywords: Cookies, Chocolate, Choc chip