Amazing Pumpkin Bread made from scratch.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 grams (1 cup) pumpkin purée* (canned or fresh), room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 25 grams (2 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease and line your 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oil, eggs, sugars and vanilla. Whisk by hand to combine the ingredients and break up the egg yolks. Add pumpkin purée and whisk again just to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, along with the milk, and whisk gently until a smooth batter forms.
- Transfer batter to prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 60 minutes. At the 50 minutes mark, cover the top of the cake with aluminium foil (to prevent it from overcooking on the outside).
- Check your loaf is ready by inserting a skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- While loaf is still warm, brush with melted butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle all over the top. Leave to cool completely before cutting into thick slices to serve.
*If you can’t find canned pumpkin purée, you can make your own:
1. Grab yourself half a large pumpkin (roughly 500 grams). Remove the skin and roughly chop into 1 inch cubes – no need to be perfect here.
2. Place pumpkin on baking tray that’s lined with baking or parchment paper. Generously cover pumpkin pieces with olive oil, making sure all sides are covered. Spread pumpkin out into one even layer.
3. Place in oven at 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until pumpkin is fully cooked.
4. Leave to cool slightly and then transfer pumpkin to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.