Learn how to make perfect Pikelets from scratch.
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 and 1/2 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk*
- Butter, for frying
- Jam and whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar and baking powder and briefly whisk.
- In a separate bowl, add egg and lightly whisk to break up the yolk. Add vanilla and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient and gently stir until a wet batter forms. Try not to over mix the batter so your pancakes aren’t rubbery.
- Place a medium frying pan on medium heat. Add a little butter and spread it over the base of the pan.
- When your butter is melted and your pan is warm, spoon out 1-2 tablespoons of batter per pikelet – leaving room so they don’t touch each other. Cook just 2-3 pikelets at a time.
- Once your pikelets are golden brown on the bottom (and start to bubble slightly on top) flip over for 30 seconds or so before removing. Continue with remaining pancake batter.
- Serve pikelets warm or cold. Top with jam and cream if desired.
*If you don’t have any buttermilk at home, make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Leave it for a few minutes and then use 3/4 cup as per the recipe. This substitution works well in this Pikelet recipe.
- Serving Size: 2 pikelets
- Calories: 196
Keywords: Pikelets, Mini pancakes, Drop Scones