Soft and fluffy banana cakes with a dollop of Nutella and swirls of homemade chocolate buttercream.
Nutella banana cupcakes
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 12 teaspoons Nutella
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 grams (2/3 cups) dark chocolate
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 14 banana chips, to decorate (optional)
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large bowl, sift the plain flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Peel and mash the bananas well. In a separate large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer for a a couple of minutes until it is creamy, pale and combined. Add the vanilla and beat again briefly. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating in between until creamy.
- Finally, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, along with buttermilk and the mashed banana. Gently fold with a spatula until just combined. Transfer the mixture into your cupcake liners, filling 3/4 full. Then add a teaspoon of Nutella onto each one and gently swirl with a knife. Bake your cupcakes for approximately 18 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place your softened butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside to cool a little.
- Once the butter is very pale and creamy, add in half of the powdered sugar and one tablespoon of milk and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated and then beat on medium speed until combined. Next, add the rest of the sugar and the milk, and again beat on slow until the sugar is incorporated before turning up to medium for another minute or so.
- Next, add in your melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. Transfer your frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large circular tip. Pipe swirls onto each cupcake. Decorate with a banana chip right before serving.