Prep: 240 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutes
Two-ingredient Mini Pavlovas topped with cream and berries.
- Line a large baking tray with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 150 C (300 F).
- Add egg whites to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat with an electric mixer on low for a minute or two until the egg whites start to turn frothy. Then turn up to medium speed and continue to beat the egg whites.
- When the egg whites reach soft peaks, start adding the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Once all the sugar has been added, your meringue should be thick and glossy and almost triple in volume.
- Once the egg whites have formed stiff peaks you can stop beating. You can check by seeing if the meringue holds its shape when you stop beating – like whipped cream. You should also be able to rub the meringue between your finger and thumb and feel if the sugar has dissolved.
- Spoon your meringues onto your baking trays – approximately 3 heaped tablespoons for each meringue – and leave space in between the meringues because they will spread out. Use the back of a spoon to make small crater in the middle of each meringue.
- Bake meringues for approximately 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside for 2-3 hours. This will help them slowly cool and will reduce any cracks. Then remove from the oven and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to decorate.
- When you’re ready to serve, top each meringues with whipped cream and fresh berries. Serve immediately.
*Berries: I usually use a mix of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Use whatever fruit is in season.
Category: DessertCuisine: Australian