Can you believe it’s only five weeks until Christmas? Time certainly seems to fly at this time of year. And is there anything that will get you in the Christmas spirit faster than baking a batch of cookies? I think not!
Get your sweet tooths ready because today I’m sharing an easy cut-out Sugar Cookie recipe! I covered mine in red and green M&M’s because we all know I have a slight obsession with candy but you could easily decorate these with royal icing. It’s a great one for the kids!
Aren’t cut out cookies just so darn fun? I make my chewy Gingerbread Cookies every year but I love the simplicity of these gorgeous sugar cookies as well. Sky’s the limit as to how you decorate them or the shapes you use.
I made giant round cookies but I’ll admit I had packed all my Christmas cookie cutters away at the time so was a little limited in my shape-making. You could decorate them however you wish but popping on a few M&M’s is a quick and easy way to make them POP!
With so few ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry, you really have no excuse not to whip up a batch right now! They are a simple cookie, slightly sweet with a crisp and yet chewy texture.
They hold their shape really well and will firm up quite well as they cool. Just be sure to let them cool completely before you decorate them with frosting or icing. Pop them in a little gift bag for family and friends – that is if they make it out of the house! Happy Thursday friends!
M&M Christmas Sugar Cookies
Buttery cut out sugar cookies decorated with colourful M&M candy.
- Yield: Makes 12 cookies
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- M&M’s to decorate
- Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric beater until pale and creamy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt and gently whisk together. Then add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir gently with a wooden spoon or a plastic spatula. Then add the remaining flour and stir to combine. The mixture should come together to form a soft dough.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Then when you are ready to cut out your cookies, flour your bench and roll out the dough using a rolling pin. Cut out your shapes using a cookie cutter and then gently transfer them onto your prepared trays.
- Press a few M&M’s into the top of your cookies or you could leave plain if you would like to decorate later with royal icing. Bake in the oven for approximately 10-12 minutes, depending on how soft or crisp you prefer your cookies. If you cut out smaller cookies, adjust the time accordingly. Be aware that they will may look under baked as they are pale but check the bottom of the cookies, which should be lightly golden brown.
- Transfer your cookies onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookies can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.