Prep: 120 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutes
A deliciously Honey Pie made from scratch.
Goat’s butter pastry
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon icing or powdered sugar
- 125 grams Delamere Goat’s Butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons water, cold
- 480 ml (2 cups) full fat milk
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 35 grams (1/4 cup) cornflour or corn starch
- 3 egg yolks
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk chocolate, melted, optional
- Goat’s butter pastry
Add flour and sugar to a food processor. Roughly cut cold goat’s butter into approximately 1cm squares and add to flour mixture.
- Whiz together mixture briefly just until the butter is approximately pea-sized chunks – no need to be exact. It’s best not to overwork your mix.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water. Process for 20 seconds or so. Add final tablespoon of water and process for another 20 seconds until the dough starts to comes together.
- Quickly, use your hands to form dough into a round disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for AT LEAST one hour to rest.
- Lightly flour your bench. Use a rolling pin to roll out your dough into a large circle, approximately 12 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer dough to an 8 or 9 inch pie plate, and trim the edges. Leave to rest for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F).
- Prick the bottom of pie crust with a fork. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until it just starts to go golden.
- Honey custard
Meanwhile, make the honey custard. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of milk to a medium saucepan and place on a low heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add sugar, cornflour, egg yolks, honey and the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and whisk together until smooth.
- Once the milk is hot to the touch (but NOT boiling), remove from the heat. Gently add a splash of the warm milk to your egg mixture and whisk. Then add a little bit more milk and whisk again. (By adding the warm milk slowly, you will prevent your eggs from scrambling).
- Slowly stream in the rest of the milk into the side of the bowl, while whisking at the same time. Once you’ve added all your milk, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Then remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl. Cover with cling wrap, ensuring the wrap touches the top of the pudding (this will help to prevent it from forming a skin) until the pie crust is ready.
- Assemble pie
Pour honey custard in baked pie crust. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until honey custard no longer wobbles in the middle. Leave to cool on the bench for 20 minutes, before placing it in the fridge for AT LEAST 2 HOURS to set.
- To serve Honey Pie, drizzle with melted chocolate.
Category: DessertCuisine: American