A fudgy chocolate gingerbread brownie with a gingerbread cookie crust.
Gingerbread cookie crust
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Gingerbread chocolate brownies
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 150 grams (1 cup) milk chocolate, chopped
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl, add plain flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and butter. Mix together until wet cookie dough forms. Pour into prepared tin and use the back of a spoon to press down gently to form an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, add melted butter and sugars and gently whisk together. Add vanilla extract and stir. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring in-between, then sift in cocoa powder, flour, cinnamon and ginger. Stir until just combined. Add the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the brownie batter over the cookie crust and place in the oven. Bake brownies for approximately 40-45 minutes or until they no longer wobble in the middle. Leave in pan to cool completely.
- To serve, place chocolate and olive oil in a small heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth. Cut brownies into small squares and drizzle with chocolate.
To get your brownies extra gooey like mine, pop them in the fridge for a few hours after they’ve cooled. It’s a sure way to get an extra fudgy brownie!