Prep: 90 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours
Funfetti Cake with two layers of vanilla cake, covered in vanilla buttercream and sprinkles
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cups) plain flour or all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 240 ml (1 cup) full fat or whole milk, room temperature
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat sour cream or Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) funfetti sprinkles (rainbow jimmies)
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 500 grams (4 cups) icing or powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- 2–3 cups of funfetti sprinkles (rainbow jimmies)
- Funfetti cake
Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk briefly. Add half of the flour mix and all the milk and beat on a low speed until combined.
- Add remaining flour mix and sour cream and continue to mix on a low speed until just combined and a thick, creamy cake batter forms. Gently fold in sprinkles by hand, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the cakes from pans and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Vanilla buttercream
To make your frosting, roughly chop butter into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until your butter is smooth and creamy. There should be no lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add vanilla and beat briefly to combine. Then add 125 grams (1 cup) sugar. Beat on a low speed to combine, then turn up the speed to medium and mix for 30 seconds or so. Mixture should be thick and appear a little dry – this is fine.
- Next, add another 125 grams (1 cup) sugar, along with 1 tablespoon of milk. Beat on medium speed until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add another 125 grams (1 cup) sugar, along with 1 tablespoon of milk. Beat on medium speed until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Finally, add remaining 125 grams (1 cup) sugar and beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Buttercream should be lovely and thick at this stage with no lumps.
- If the buttercream is too thick, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk. To finish, give your buttercream a good stir by hand using a spatula.
- To decorate
Trim the tops of cake if needed. Place one cake on a cake plate, and cover the top with buttercream. Place the second cake on top. Cover the entire cake, top and sides, with remaining buttercream.
- Pick up the cake and hold over a large mixing bowl. Carefully press sprinkles into the side of the cake, letting the extra sprinkles fall into the bowl. Continue until top and sides of cake are completely covered.
- Place cake in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to for the frosting and sprinkles to set slightly. Cut into slices and serve.
Category: CakeCuisine: American