Beautiful Funfetti Cupcakes decorated with swirls of Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) whole or full fat milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 65 grams (1/3 cup) rainbow jimmy sprinkles
- 1 x Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Rainbow jimmy sprinkles, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Add egg and beat briefly until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture, milk and sour cream to butter mixture and gently beat on low speed until smooth and creamy. The cake batter will be thick. Finally, fold through sprinkles.
- Spoon out the cake batter into your prepared liners, filling each one two-thirds full. Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes are golden. Transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make a batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe swirls of buttercream onto each cupcake. Decorate with extra sprinkles.
Sprinkles: Jimmy sprinkles work best. Don’t use nonpareils as they tend to bleed into the batter. Just remember to gently stir the sprinkles into the cake batter to help prevent the colours from running.
Piping nozzle: You’ll want to use a large star tip to achieve similar swirls of frosting to what I have pictured here. Try the Ateco 849 piping tip.