Buttery lemon cookies with a fresh lemon glaze.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of 1 lemon, freshly grated
- 125 grams (1 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 3–4 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Add vanilla and egg and beat again until combined.
- Sift in flour and baking soda. Add lemon juice and zest. Beat briefly until soft cookie dough forms.
- Roll cookie dough into 16 balls, approximately 1.5 tablespoons of dough each, and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden on the edges. Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the lemon glaze, sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, one tablespoon at a time, and mix together with a fork. Keep adding a tablespoon of lemon juice until you reach your desired consistency. You want the glaze to be smooth, but thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle glaze over cookies. Leave for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 199
Keywords: Lemon Cookies, Sugar Cookies, Easy Lemon Cookies