Soft and moist Caramel Cupcakes topped with creamy white chocolate buttercream.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 150 grams (1 cup) good quality white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
White chocolate buttercream
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) good quality white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 12 white chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter, white chocolate, sugars and water. Place on low heat, stirring until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside for a few minutes to cool slightly.
- Add eggs and vanilla to cooled white chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add flour and baking powder and stir until combined – don’t worry if the batter is a little lumpy.
- Divide the cake batter between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for approximately 18 minutes or until the tops of the cake spring back lightly to the touch. Transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside.
- Add vanilla, half the sugar and one tablespoon of milk to the butter and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. If frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk.
- Add buttercream to piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe onto cupcakes. Add a piece of white chocolate on top.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 542
Keywords: Caramel cupcakes, Caramel cakes