Creamy chocolate fudge packed with crunchy roasted almonds and a sprinkling of sea salt.
- 300 grams (2 cups) good quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 35 grams (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 300 grams (1 cup) full-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 grams (3/4 cup) roasted almonds (not salted)
- Sea salt
- Grease and line an 8-inch square baking pan with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chocolate and butter and heat in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Add sweetened condensed milk. vanilla and baking soda and stir until completely conbined and smooth. Stir through almonds.
- Moving quickly as it will begin to set, pour the chocolate mixture into your prepared pan and gently smooth the fudge so it forms one even layer. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into small squares and serve. Store fudge in the fridge.
Dark chocolate: I recommend using a good quality block of dark chocolate that’s around 70% cocoa. The chocolate doesn’t need to be too sweet because of the sweetened condensed milk.
Baking soda: A tiny pinch of baking soda just helps to dry out the fudge and firm it up. You cannot taste it and you can leave it out if you prefer. But I find it helps when trying to cut this fudge into nice squares for serving or gift-giving as it is quite soft.
Almonds: You can use raw or roasted almonds in this recipe. Both work really well, but I do prefer roasted for the extra nutty flavour they bring. If you use salted almonds, omit the salt on top of the fudge.
Stove-top instructions: You can make this fudge on the stove instead of the microwave. In a large mixing bowl, add chocolate and butter and then place on top of a saucepan filled with about 2 inches (5cm) of water – ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water below. Place on a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until completely melted. Gradually stir in your condensed milk, vanilla and baking soda and gently stir until it all comes together. Remove from the heat, throw in your nuts and mix through. Continue with step 4 above.
Storage: This fudge needs to be kept in the fridge. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.