A decadent two layer Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with cream cheese frosting.
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 80 grams (1 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 300 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk*
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 240 ml (1 cup) hot water
Chocolate cream cheese frosting
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) full fat block of cream cheese, softened
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 180 C (360 F). Grease and line two 8 inch round cake tins with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Then add the sugars. Whisk together. In a separate mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, olive oil, vanilla and eggs. Whisk together. Boil the kettle and pour out 1 cup of hot water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Start to fold together. Then slowly pour in the hot water down the side of the bowl, and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into two cake tins and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave for 10 minutes before gently removing the cakes from their tins and leave them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add half the sugar, all the cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of milk and beat on low until combined and smooth. Add the rest of the sugar and the extra tablespoon of milk, and beat until combined.
- Spread half the chocolate frosting on top of one chocolate cake. Add the other cake on top and cover with the remaining frosting. Serve with fresh strawberries if desired.
*If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of whole or full fat milk.
Keywords: Chocolate cake, Olive oil cake, Chocolate olive oil cake