A gorgeous no bake Chocolate Cinnamon Donut Icebox Cake made using store-bought donuts and topped with homemade chocolate cinnamon cookie crumbs.
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 600 ml (2 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 14 fresh store-bought cinnamon donuts
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 65 grans (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour or corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- Lightly grease a 9 inch springform tin with a little butter. Chop your dark chocolate into small chunks and place into a bowl. Then heat 1 cup of your cream in a small saucepan on a medium-low heat until it is warm (do not boil), then pour over your dark chocolate and leave it for about 2-3 minutes. Then whisk your dark chocolate mixture until it is smooth. Leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile start whipping the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of cream until it resembles stiff peaks. Then fold your whipped cream into your chocolate mixture very gently until fully incorporated. It may be quite thin but don’t worry, it will firm up later.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 7 cinnamon donuts, 6 on the outside, 1 in the centre. Then cover all the donuts with half of your chocolate cream mixture. Then add another 7 donuts on top and pour over the remaining chocolate cream. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the fridge overnight.
- Next, make your chocolate crumbs. In a large mixing bowl, add your plain flour, sugar, cornflour, cocoa powder. and cinnamon. Whisk together. Melt your butter and add it to the mixture, stirring until it forms wet crumbs. Pour this mixture out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and spread out into one layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then leave to cool completely.
- When you are ready to serve your cake, carefully run a butter knife around the edge and then remove the side of the tin. Cover the top with the chocolate cinnamon crumbs. Cut and serve.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cake, Donuts, Dessert