A cake made out of donuts. #isthisreallife?
Y’all know that I love a good icebox cake. I’ve made them out of Oreos and chocolate chip cookies but I’ve gone to a new place today. A chocolate covered place where cakes are made out of donuts. And I like it.
You’re looking at a spectacular Chocolate Cinnamon Donut Icebox Cake made out of store-bought donuts. They’re covered in a deliciously rich chocolate cream and then topped with homemade chocolate cinnamon cookie crumbs.
America has the BEST donuts. They know how to make the perfect melt-in-your-mouth donut that steers away from being doughy or dry. I think the best donut I’ve ever had was at Round Rock Donuts in Texas three years ago.
When we drove up to Round Rock, we were surprised to see that this kitchy donut shop outside of town had a drive-thru. And not just a drive-thru but a stream of cars lining up for the drive-thru extending right down the street. It was then we knew we had quite possibly struck gold. They’re also famous for their giant Texas-sized donuts that are literally the size of your head.
But why just eat a donut when you can make a donut cake? Especially one that’s covered in a creamy two ingredient chocolate mousse and showered in homemade chocolate cookie crumbs.
By the way, cookie crumbs are my ultimate weakness. They are so easy to make – I make them all the time. I can literally eat them by the handful too. They may look plain, but trust me, these crunchy morsels are packed with flavour.
Word to the wise, once you build this cake, you then need to resist the urger to face plant and instead leave it to set overnight in the fridge. Make your chocolate crumbs and, ta-da, you have a gorgeous Donut Icebox Cake.
If you feel your donuts might get a little dry, especially if they aren’t great quality, you can dunk them in a little milk before building. But with all that delicious chocolate cream and crunchy cookie crumbs, you just know it’s going to one amazing cake!
A gorgeous no bake Chocolate Cinnamon Donut Icebox Cake made using store-bought donuts and topped with homemade chocolate cinnamon cookie crumbs.
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 600 ml (2 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 14 fresh store-bought cinnamon donuts
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 65 grans (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour or corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- Lightly grease a 9 inch springform tin with a little butter. Chop your dark chocolate into small chunks and place into a bowl. Then heat 1 cup of your cream in a small saucepan on a medium-low heat until it is warm (do not boil), then pour over your dark chocolate and leave it for about 2-3 minutes. Then whisk your dark chocolate mixture until it is smooth. Leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile start whipping the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of cream until it resembles stiff peaks. Then fold your whipped cream into your chocolate mixture very gently until fully incorporated. It may be quite thin but don’t worry, it will firm up later.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 7 cinnamon donuts, 6 on the outside, 1 in the centre. Then cover all the donuts with half of your chocolate cream mixture. Then add another 7 donuts on top and pour over the remaining chocolate cream. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the fridge overnight.
- Next, make your chocolate crumbs. In a large mixing bowl, add your plain flour, sugar, cornflour, cocoa powder. and cinnamon. Whisk together. Melt your butter and add it to the mixture, stirring until it forms wet crumbs. Pour this mixture out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and spread out into one layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then leave to cool completely.
- When you are ready to serve your cake, carefully run a butter knife around the edge and then remove the side of the tin. Cover the top with the chocolate cinnamon crumbs. Cut and serve.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cake, Donuts, Dessert