An easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe that will make you swoon. Enjoy every bite of this soft and tender Banana Bread studded with chocolate chips and baked until golden.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread for the win 👊🏻
I’m sharing my all-time favourite banana bread recipe with you today and I just know you’re going to love it. It’s big, it’s bold and it’s packed with bananas AND chocolate chips. Yes, of course there’s a little chocolate in there – have we met before?! 😉
Perfect for breakfast, lunch or tea, my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is a staple for any baker’s pantry.
Full confession: I first shared this recipe back in 2015. But not only has my photography improved since then but so has my recipe writing skills AND my banana bread game.
So I’ve updated the recipe ever-so-slightly to make a bigger, fatter loaf but essentially it’s the same tender b-bread I’ve been making for four years now. And I know some of you have been enjoying it since 2015, just like me.
A few months ago, I was testing my Chocolate Banana Bread recipe and it made me fall in love with banana bread all over again. There is something about that softly sweet, tender loaf, perfectly spiced and just a little bit indulgent.
So you’ll be glad to hear this is a quick and easy recipe, using only a bowl and spoon and ingredients that you probably have in your pantry right now. But the results are A-mazing.
It’s worth saving up your bananas ALL WEEK to make this loaf on a Saturday morning.
It’s perfectly soft and moist, thanks to the oodles of smooched bananas, with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg for extra flavour and a handful of chocolate chips. It has a golden crust but a tender cake-like centre.
My advice? Cut a thick slice while it’s still warm and smear it with butter. Sit down and enjoy every. single. bite. If you have any leftovers (unlikely), you can freeze this Banana Bread. I cut chunky slices and then freeze them to enjoy all week long.
Tips for making chocolate chip banana bread
- This recipe is made using just a bowl and spoon – no electric mixer needed. First, combine all the dry ingredients and stir briefly.
- Then it’s time to sort out the wet ingredients. Melt your butter in the microwave until JUST melted (it doesn’t need to be hot and bubbly), then add your eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Next comes the bananas. For the most flavourful banana bread, use overripe spotty bananas. The smellier the better.
- When you mash your banana, mash it well with a fork. If you have too many big chunks, they will end up in your banana bread as wet, smooshy bits – ew.
- Then add as many chocolate chips as you would like – or none at all. The choice is yours!
- Stir mix until JUST combined – do not overmix.
- Bake your banana bread until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If it starts to brown too much on the top, cover with alfoil and continue to bake.
- Eat a slice while its fresh from the oven and still warm – it’s mandatory.
A soft and moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread made from scratch.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk
- 3 ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk or dark chocolate chips
- Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and gently stir.
- In the microwave, heat the butter until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas very well using a fork.
- Next, add vanilla, egg and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana. Throw in the chocolate chips. Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for approximately 40-50 minutes* or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
*If your banana bread is getting too brown, cover with aluminium foil at the 40 minute mark and continue baking until cooked through.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 397
Keywords: Banana, Bread, Chocolate chip banana bread
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in July 2015.