Prep: 360 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 15 minutes
Chocolate caramel tart with a salty pretzel crust.
- 150 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- 100 grams (2 cups) pretzels
- 1 tablespoons caster sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Salted caramel layer
- 300 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened or heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- Extra pretzels for decorating
- Crush your cookies and pretzels using a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs. Add sugar and melted butter and whizz again until the crumbs are nice and wet. Place the crumbs into your prepared tin and press into one layer on the bottom and up the sides using the back of a spoon. Pop into the fridge.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add sugar and pop onto a medium heat. Let the sugar slowly melt, swirling the pan occasionally or giving it a stir with a wooden spoon. Once the sugar completely melts it should be golden in colour.
- Let the sugar bubble away until it turns a slightly darker amber colour, but watch it closely as it can burn very quickly. Once the sugar is completely melted and is dark golden in colour, carefully add butter, and whisk immediately. It will bubble up rigorously so whisk quickly until the butter melts completely.
- Remove caramel from the stove and slowly pour in the cream whisking rigorously as you go. Once the cream is incorporated, add your salt and whisk again.
- Return your caramel to the stove with a candy thermometer and heat until it reaches the soft ball stage (235 F / 118 C). Pour caramel over cookie crust. Pop back into the fridge to set for 1-2 hours.
- To make the chocolate ganache, roughly chop chocolate and place in a bowl. Heat cream using the stovetop or the microwave until it is hot to the touch but before it starts to boil.
- Pour cream over the chocolate and leave to sit for 4-5 minutes. Whisk until ganache becomes smooth. Pour chocolate ganache over caramel. Press a few extra pretzels on top. Return tart to the fridge for at least 3 hours or even better, overnight.
You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
Category: DessertCuisine: American