Have you been swept away in the donut craze? Since I bought my donut pan I’ve been loving making these baked treats at home. Chocolate Frosted Donuts with sprinkles and Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are my favourites so far. But there is a newcomer that has jumped to the top of my donut list, these amazing Caramel Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes.
Now those who have not yet invested in a donut pan can join in the baked donut fun, with these cute donut holes! Baked in a mini muffin tray, they are little bite sized donut muffins. Using my Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donut recipe, these little nuggets are soft and fluffy and have a sweet cinnamon flavour. But why stop there? Injected inside is a nice shot of gooey caramel. You could use homemade or store bought. I used the lovely Bonne Maman caramel spread to fill mine. A sweet surprise hidden inside, they are the most delicious donut treat.Print
Baked cinnamon sugar donut holes stuffed with caramel sauce.
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
Cinnamon sugar topping
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Lightly grease a mini muffin pan. In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined, then add the egg and beat for another minute or so. Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and gently stir with a wooden spoon, then add the remaining flour and milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin but don’t overfill the holes. Place in the oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. When the donuts are ready, take them out of the oven and remove from the pan onto a wire rack. Melt the extra butter and using a pastry brush, generously coat each donut with butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Fill a syringe with caramel and gently inject the caramel into each donut. If you don’t have a syringe, you could use a small pipping nozzle if you have a plastic pipping bag that is easy to squeeze.
Keywords: Caramel, Donut holes, Cinnamon, Donuts