Thick chocolate chip cookie bars with a ribbon of homemade caramel running right through the middle.
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, plus 2 egg yolks
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 grams (1 cup) milk or dark chocolate block or bar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- Prepare an 8 inch square baking tin by greasing with butter and lining with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang. Preheat the oven to 160 (350 F).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat again until combined. Add the egg yolks, one at time, beating to combine. Sift in the flour and baking soda and mix briefly.
- Divide the cookie dough into two and press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of your pan. Spread it out so it reaches the edges of the pan. Place in the oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, finely chop half the chocolate and add to the remaining cookie dough. Cut the rest of the chocolate into large chunks.
- To make the caramel, add the condensed milk, brown sugar and butter to a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until smooth. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Pour caramel over baked cookie dough base. Place remaining cookie dough on top. The easiest way to do this is to break it up into pieces and place them all over the top, squeezing the edges together to join. Try to make sure most of the caramel is covered. Press remaining chocolate chunks on top.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 18 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 401
Keywords: Chocolate, Caramel, Cookies, Bars, Dessert