Soft and tender chocolate cake covered in chocolate frosting and LOADS of candy.
- 250 grams (1 cup and 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 60 grams (3/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 240 ml (1 cup) sour cream, room temperature
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 grams (2/3 cups) dark chocolate
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 450 grams (3 cups) assorted chocolate and candy pieces*
- Chocolate cake
Grease a rectangular cake tin (9 x 13 inch / 23 x 33 cm) and line with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium sped until pale and creamy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat until mixture is combined. Boil the kettle and pour out 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and lightly whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, along with half of the hot water and gently fold with a spatula. Add the rest of the hot water and continue to mix. Stir through sour cream until the cake mixture is combined and smooth. It will be quite thick – this is fine.
- Pour chocolate batter into your prepared pan and bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool for about 15 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate frosting
Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until smooth and set aside to cool a little.
- Add half of the sugar and one tablespoon of milk, and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated. Then, add the remaining sugar and milk, and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated before turning up to medium for another minute or so.
- Next, add melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. Gently cover your cooled cake with chocolate frosting. Then scatter over all your candy pieces right before serving.
*I used M&M’s, Maltesers, Twix bars and Snickers bars.