The best make-ahead Christmas dessert! Chocolate sponge cake surrounds creamy ice-cream stuffed with pistachios, cranberries, chocolate and Turkish delight.
- Approximately 400 grams store bought mini chocolate sponge rolls
- 2 litres (8 cups) good quality vanilla ice cream
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) pistachios
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) dried cranberries
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) Turkish delight*, chopped
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) dark chocolate
- Fresh cherries, to serve
- Line a 2 litre (8 cup capacity) round bowl with plastic wrap, ensuring all sides overhang. Remove ice cream from the freezer and leave to soften for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the chocolate sponge rolls into 1/2 inch slices. Starting at the bottom, place the sponge rolls slices in the bowl, going all the way up the sides. Ensure they are all touching each other to minimise any gaps. Set aside remaining sponge rolls.
- Place ice cream in a large mixing bowl. Add pistachios, cramberries, chocolate chips and Turkish delight and stir to combine. Spoon the ice cream over the sponge rolls. Smooth the top.
- Cover the top of the ice cream with remaining sponge rolls. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. Turn the cake upside down and gently remove from the bowl using the plastic wrap. Pour melted chocolate all over the top, letting it run down the sides. Decorate with fresh cherries.
*The Turkish delight goes quite hard when frozen. I like it because it’s hard but chewy, but if you prefer, you could swap this for 1/2 cup of tinned or glaced cherries.